PA Game Elk Cam
Welcome to the 2020 Elk Cam Season!
Live 24/7 views of Pennsylvania's Elk
In Partnership with the Pennsylvania Game Commission • Powered by HDOnTap
About the Elk Cam
The Elk cam is located in Benezette, Pennsylvania on some of the 1.5 million acres of state game land owned and managed by the Pennsylvania Game Commission. This camera is live during the elk rut, which takes place from mid-September to mid-October. During this time, male elk (bulls) attempt to win the loyalty of a "harem" of female elk (cows). Adult bulls can weigh up to 1,000 pounds. To show their strength and prowess, they will rub their antlers on trees, shrubs and the ground, and occasionally engage in battle with other bulls. And they will bugle! The elk bugle is one of the most distinctive sounds in nature - you will certainly know this high-pitched squealing noise when you hear it.
Elk are crepuscular, moving more during dawn and dusk. The best time to catch them on screen is early in the morning or during late afternoon/evening. You may also see white-tailed deer, turkeys, ground hogs, crows and other wildlife, maybe even an occasional black bear.
As of March 2020, there are about 1,350 elk in Pennsylvania. Here, a wild cow elk lives and average of 10 years, while bulls live an average of 8 years. The oldest known cow in Pennsylvania was 32, and the oldest bull was 15. Captive elk live longer than wild elk. The Game Commission and several partner organizations put a tremendous amount of time and effort into improving elk habitat, benefiting deer and other wildlife. Learn more at http://bit.ly/PGCElk
Be ELK SMART! When visiting elk county, do your part to preserve the WILD nature of the elk herd.
1. GIVE ELK SPACE. Keep a distance – of at least 100 yards – between you and the elk. Never approach them. Elk are wild animals that are unpredictable and sometimes aggressive, especially during the fall breeding season. Cows are also known to defend their young when they feel threatened.
2. NEVER FEED ELK. Not only is it illegal to feed elk in Pennsylvania, but it teaches them to associate people, cars and/or homes with food. This could cause them to approach people looking for more. Feeding also promotes the spread of infectious diseases by having them unnaturally congregate into small areas.
3. DON’T NAME ELK. Characterizing elk, or any wildlife, by naming them degrades their wild essence. The very reason people are drawn to the elk is their unaltered independence from humans. Personifying elk as humans takes away from their truly wild nature.
4. DO YOUR PART. The welfare of the elk herd is a shared responsibility. If you see someone being disruptive or careless, whether intentional or not, kindly ask them to stop or report it to the Pennsylvania Game Commission’s Northcentral Region by calling 570-398-4744. We all have a duty to ensure the safety of people and the long-term welfare of the elk.
For more information visit the Game Commission’s website.
Subscribe to the Pennsylvania Game Commission. Receive emails or text messages about the wildlife topics you're interested in!
- August 31, 2020 - Elk Cam goes live!
- September 3, 2019 - Elk Cam goes live!
- September 10, 2018 - Elk Cam goes live!
Click the menu icon in the upper left of the player to see more videos.
September 02, 2021
Elk Sleeping in the field and Bull Fight • Watch Clip
Watch this highlight of a sleepy elk taking a snooze in the field as well as two large bulls fighting at dusk.
August 30, 2021
Lone Coyote in the Elk Field • Watch Clip
Watch this highlight from the 2021 Elk Season of a Lone Coyote enjoying some apples in Pennsylvania.
August 24, 2021
Early Season Elk Fight Night • Watch Clip
Watch this highlight clip from August 2021, a surprising early season showdown as a large group of bull elk roamed the field eating, bugling and fighting with one another.
August 12, 2021
12 Point Bull Shaking Apples Out of the Tree • Watch Clip
Watch this highlight from August 2021 of a huge 12-point bull elk using it's rack to shake apples out of a tree in Elk Country, Pennsylvania!
November 20, 2020
2020 Elk Cam Highlight Bucks and Bugles • Watch Clip
Enjoy this special curated highlight from the live Pennsylvania Elk cam featuring exciting rut activity from big bucks to wild bugles on the Pennsylvania Game Commission Elk Field for the 2020 Rut Season.
November 20, 2020
2020 Elk Cam Highlight Morning Sights and Sounds • Watch Clip
Best of the many sights and sounds of the Pennsylvania Game Comission elk field in the morning from the 2020 rut season.
November 20, 2020
2020 Elk Cam Highlight Bull Fight • Watch Clip
Two bulls square up and go rack to rack on the Pennsylvania Game Commission Elk cam for the 2020 Elk Rut Season.
November 20, 2020
2020 Elk Cam Highlight Bear Sightings • Watch Clip
We saw several glimpses of a little black bear on cam this year, enjoy this compilation of black bear sightings!
September 11, 2020
2020 Elk Cam Highlight Early Season Highlight • Watch Clip
Early PA elk season highlights from September 2020, including the first bugle of the 2020 rut season!
October 17, 2019
2019 PA Elk Season Highlights • Watch Clip
Highlights from the 2019 Rut Season for the Pennsylvania Game Commission Elk camera.
October 19, 2018
2018 Season Highlights • Watch Clip
Highlights from the 2018 Rut Season for the Pennsylvania Game Commission Elk camera.
Stay Up-To-Date On Our Cams!
Help and Technical Support
Issues Watching Live Streams
We're sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue! The following resources will help you get resolution:
Most issues are solved by clearing your browser cache. Get instructions for your browser here.
If your issue is not resolved by following the troubleshooting tips above, please click here to run a speed test and share your results in a support ticket.
Issues with commenting/Spot.IM
Get support for issues with comments (including log in issues) by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Report an issue with another viewer by hovering over their post and clicking the down-arrow on the right, then selecting "Report". You may also report by creating a comment and tagging "@hdontap" to notify us directly.
We greatly value feedback from our viewers! We encourage you to fill out our Viewer Feedback Form to help us deliver the best viewing experience.
You May Also Enjoy...
Subscribe to the Pennsylvania Game Commission.
Receive emails or text messages about the wildlife topics you're interested in: https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/PAGC/subscriber/new